Friday, January 8, 2010

Its going

Wow!! My last post was November 9th!!! Shame on me.

A lot has been going on. Well duh, its been almost two months!

Let's see, where to start.

Things had steadily improved with me. I started driving again, started going out of the house, heck I got a bike for my birthday and have rode several times with Miss Piper. I would say that things were looking and feeling much better! My pain levels seem to be under better control and the drowsiness and sluggishness has finally gone away. As far as sleep goes...well that is still a constant battle but I will take the little victories for now.

I had my follow up with Dr. W at the beginning of December in Baltimore. He was pleased with my progress. We discusses changing the setting of the shunt but decided against it because he feared that might do more harm than good. He made it very clear to me that my body and my brain have been through a tremendous amount in one year and I need to take things slowy. I cannot expect to be right back where I was a year ago in just a week. We also talked about what to expect in the future. Unfortunately, shunts do not last forever. They typically only last 2-6 years and then they will have to be replaced. Sucks, I know. But as Dr. W said, you cannot go around everyday just waiting for it to fail, you have to live your life. The plan is to go back and see him in 6 months unless there is a problem then I will see him before then.

He did agree that if I wanted to try going back to work part-time then that would be okay. He did stress the part-time and wants me to take it slow. Wes and I had thought about me filing for permanent disability (which I would more than qualify for) but I really want to be able to work! Crazy as it may be, I miss my job. So after much deliberating and soul searching my first day back was on December 14th.

So how has work been going. Well....its been hit or miss. more on that later.

I am still seeing my awesome Pain Management Doctor and he truly has been a life saver. I really think if it were not for the pain meds I take daily I would not be able to make it through each day. Through my appointments with him, he has also diagnosed me with Chronic daily Migraine. Fun times, kids.... He says this is quite common in people with Intracranial Hypertension. As time goes on I am now able to tell the difference in a pressure headache (Intracranial Hypertension) and a Migraine. There are different ways to treat the two of these so knowing which one I am having at that given moment helps me in determining what medicine to use.

So things had been going really good and then the week of Christmas I started to feel not so good, and to be honest I have just not felt very good since. Sigh.......

At first I just thought it was the stress of Christmas but now I am starting to get a little worried that maybe my shunt is malfunctioning. I have had some ringing in my ears and several episodes where my vision has become blurred and spotty. Dr. C, my pain management Doctor wanted me to try a three day course of Relpax and prednisone this week but after two days of that I just could not take it anymore. This medicine make me so sleepy and tiered and just plain ughhhh. So I took the medicine on Tuesday and Wednesday and said NO MORE. Thank goodness the girls went to there dads today (Thursday) I slept till 4:30 this afternoon and that's with me going to bed at 11:30 last night!!!!! See I told you this medicine was evil!!!!

Remember how I said earlier that work was, key word was going good. Well this week I have only been able to work one day. Sighhh.. thats not good. Basically I think I am going to half to break down and call Dr. W in Baltimore and see what he thinks is going on. I don't know if maybe I need another Lumbar Puncture to see what the pressure is or what?

I really wish this would go away. I think my family seems to think it should have. Somehow I don't remember being told that? Will they ever just accept that this is a part of who and what I am now? This has got to be one of the most fustrating parts of this disease, helping other people understand. It is just not magically going to go away, it does not work like that.

So that is my update for now. They are calling for snow here and thats always fun...

I will make some calls tomorrow to Doctors and hopefully start the ball rolling to find out why I was feeling so good and now feeling so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment