Thursday, July 30, 2009

In Baltimore- Pre-Op }}}}}}

I had my Pre-Op Appointmnet yesterday and everything went well.

As Trey pointed out its a good thing I liked her considering that I am having surgery with her on Friday and all.

Dr. Zeena Dorai will be doing the Surgery at Sinai Hospital on Friday. I have to be there at 7:00 am.

I am so ready to get this over with. She made me feel very at ease and comfortable. She went over my last CT scan and pointed our how small my ventricles are. This is very common in patients with Intracranial Hypertension. She did say that she liked the placement of my current shunt.

So what is the plan???

There will be a General Surgeon working with her during my surgery. His part will be to work on the abdominal (tubing) end of things. His goal is to readjust the tubing inside the abdominal so that it sits somewhere with less scare tissue and adhesion's. He also will be checking to see if the tube is blocked and if it needs to be replaced.
I have had so much pain in my sides that this could be a welcomed change. If he is not able to place the tubing back into the abdomen he may have to place it into the chest cavity although this is not the desired placement. They are hoping he will be able to do all this laproscopticlly but will have to play it by ear.

While he is doing this Dr. Dorai will begin her part of he surgery which is the brain and where the actual shunt is. She will shave the head again and expose the shunt. She will individually take out each component and test it to determine if it is working. Once she finds the piece/pieces that are not working she will replace them. This will include the catheter, valve and tubing. Once she has done all this she will test the flow and pressure to make sure that everything is working before closing it back up.

For now Dr. Dorai's feeling is that I need a new shunt. But as she has said she just does not know and cannot say for sure until she gets in there. After surgery I will be taken to recovery and then to my room on the Neurology floor. The plan is for me to stay to nights in the hospital and then go from there.

Wheww.....that's a lot of information.

I feel really good about this. I know I am in the best hands for this operation and I am just ready to get it over with.

Mom and Dad are headed up here today and I am so glad they are coming. Wes and I are still trying to decide what we are going to do today to keep our minds off of tomorrow. We can't deceide if we should go see the O's play or go check out the Beltimore Aquarium.'s not so much that we can't decide, it's just a differing of opnion...

I will try to update asap after surgery.

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment