Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Good Laugh

"What will you do, if it does not turn out how you expect?"
"I do not know. Nor shall I worry about it until it happens. I still have an action left to take; until I have exhausted it, I shall not despair." - Robin Hobb, Assassin's Quest



A Good Laugh

at my expense but don’t feel bad because I am laughing too!!!!


People are amazing creatures when you think about it. No, I don’t mean in a scientific, spiritual, or mechanical sense, I mean in an everyday, common sense, practical, heartfelt sense.

It seems that some people, to put it lightly and nicer than I want, have not an ounce of sense or tact about them.

Why do I tell you this? Well let me tell you about my experience checking in at my local hospital to get a CT done. (Now, let me remind you that I have a lot of hair shaven off but with the help of styling and bobby pins you really can’t notice.) Any who…,after I checked into the main desk I went to sit down and Wes went to the restroom.

As I had just sat down I hear someone say “ what have *(*(* to (*&)*)” yea, I did not understand it either. Well for starters I did not think she was talking to me so I said “excuse me, are you asking me a question?” “Yes”, she replies and says “Lady what have you done to your head” SAY WHAT!!!! I cannot believe a total stranger has just asked me this ridiculous question. So after I had picked my jaw off the ground I calmly told her that I had a shunt. That seemed to pacify her. I really walked away stunned not knowing whether to laugh or cry. On one hand how insensitive on the other hand it was an honest question….yea your right it was a insensitive. Lets face it people I was in a hospital waiting room not the deli department at Walmart.

But come on really, why would you ask that? That I put up there with the “Are you pregnant question. You never asked that question until you are 115% positive then you wait some more.

After talking to Wes about it I figured out what I should have said:
“Well it’s the darndest thing. Those lawn mower blades just kept coming
after I fell off.


Come on you know I would never say it but heck it's funny stuff.

Overall no harm no foul right…Wes and I have had a good chuckle over that.

But that brings me to the “But You Don’t Look Sick” and “Everyday Doctors”

Now, just to be fair most people mean well. They think they are helping, bless their hearts I am not trying to be offensive but hey like I say you either laugh or cry and I choose to laugh!!

Intracranial Hypertension is an invisible disease. What is an invisible disease- a chronic illness or disease that is not visually apparent. Basically someone has a illness or disease but does not look it. They do not have a wheelchair or cain, they look energetic an may walk just fine and seem normal. That’s what an invisible disease is.

Frustration would be my definition but that is neither here nor there.


The world is full of advice and suggestion and just do this. It seems like everyone has an MD in front of there name when you get sick…LOL. A great quote I see posted on some forums I visit is

“My disabling chronic illness is more real than your imaginary medical expertise”

A little harsh, yes but it is just meant to be funny. Remember laugh people, laugh!!!!!


People always like to comment about my horrible head pain. Notice I said head pain and not headache; I am giving that word up. This is a common conversation I will have with someone.

“Oh, you have a headache? I have some Advil." First of all, Advil won't get ridof the type of headache/head pain I have, not even close. Second of all, it won't even touch the type of pain I experience from the spinal fluid in my brain squishing my brain against my head. I have narcotics and muscle relaxers for the pain I have. Your Advil is like a tic tac to me.”

Hate to say it but its true. The whole family of Advil, Tylenol, and Excederin are nothing but candy corn to me these days…

People are a curious creature that is for sure.

2 comments:

  1. Oh LMFAO you and Wes got it right!

    I might have added, had I been there hearing your what-would-have-been-perfect retort, "Yeah, it looks a lot better now that they got her head back on."

    Sheesh, the insensitive things people say...

    Good column!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved this! (in a twisted sort of way) glad you have a sense of humor! We invite you to come to our 5-day VIRTUAL conference for those living with illness for National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week. We have 20 speakers with 1 hours slots who will give 30 minute presentations LIVE via BlogTalkRadio (4 per day M-F) and then take caller's questions.

    Visit www.invisibleillness.com to see our variety of expert speakers and topics on all aspects of living with illness, from housekeeping to relationships, college and careers and learning to cope more effectively with chronic illness and pain in your life.

    ReplyDelete